Nothing says summer in Western New York better than the familiar aroma of a Chiavetta’s Chicken BBQ that warmly greets you before arriving at your destination. You too can enjoy a delicious BBQ Grilled Chicken in your own backyard. We start with Chiavetta’s BBQ Marinade, enhanced with Montreal Chicken Seasoning, and finished with a BBQ Sauce perfectly caramelize from the grill!Jump to Recipe
What is Chiavetta’s Chicken?
Chiavetta’s is a local family business for more than 65-years. They started in 1951 by hosting chicken barbecues at weddings and banquets. This created a demand for their BBQ sauce where people would bring their own mayonnaise jars to purchase their sauce. Over time they started to bottle and sell the sauce plus introduced new products. Over the decades they evolved to a very successful business with two locations, catering, and fundraisers. Their products include Italian Dressing, sweet and tangy rib sauce, and the BBQ marinade used in our BBQ Grilled Chicken!
Where to Buy Chiavetta’s Marinade
You can purchase Chiavetta’s Barbecue Marinade through Amazon.com or through their website. Grocery stores in the Western New York area carries the marinade. We always keep a bottle in the pantry for the BBQ Grilled Chicken!
How to Use Chiavetta’s Marinade for BBQ Grilled Chicken
A key to great chicken is preventing it from drying out on the grill. This is where Chiavetta’s sauce adds great flavor while keeping the chicken moist while grilling. We use Chiavetta’s barbecue sauce to make our own BBQ Grilled Chicken. Chiavetta’s BBQ Marinade is vinegar based with salt, spices, and garlic. The vinegar can start to “cook the meat” and should be considered for how long to marinade the chicken. We find that bone-in chicken can remain in the marinade longer than boneless. It depends upon the depth of flavor desired from the Chiavetta’s Marinade.
Start with a conservative time of 1-hour for boneless, 2-hours for bone-in chicken, and 30-minutes for Kabobs. In a pinch, we marinade the bone-in chicken for an hour. Ideally, several hours. Place chicken in a plastic ziplock bag and add the marinade to partially cover the chicken. Turn the chicken half way through the time to evenly marinade the chicken. Discard the ziplock bag and marinade after removing the chicken.
Chiavetta’s Chicken on the Grill
Your grilling time will depend upon the size of chicken plus the temperature of your grill. Weather conditions will affect the grill’s temperature. On a hot day, you may need to adjust the temperature controls so the grill does not get too hot. On a cold or windy day you may need to increase the temperature controls to obtain the proper heat.
A larger bone-in chicken takes about 45-minutes at medium heat. Once the grill is pre-heated, place the BBQ Grilled Chicken on the grill, skin-side down and grill until golden brown and slightly charred. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Continue turning your chicken every 10-minutes ending with the skin side up. Sprinkle the Montreal Chicken Seasoning to the bone-side of the chicken.
Finish the chicken with Montreal Chicken Seasoning and your favorite BBQ sauce. Add enough BBQ sauce to coat the entire chicken skin side up. Grill a few minutes to ensure the BBQ sauce caramelizes on the chicken. Enjoy the BBQ Grilled Chicken with a side of your favorite BBQ sauce for dipping!
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy:
BBQ Grilled ChickenPin Recipe
- Non-reactive bowl
- Serving platter
- 2 Large Bone-In Chicken Breasts with Skin
- 1 to 2 cups Chiavetta’s Barbecue Marinade
- 1 tbsp Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce enough to coat the Chicken
- Non-Stick spray optional
- Place chicken I=in a non-reactive bowl. Cover the chicken partway with Chiavetta's Barbecue Marinade. Cover and place in the refrigerator. Turn periodically.
- Preheat your grill to medium. Spray the grill with non-stick spray.
- Place the chicken on the grill skin-side down and grill until golden brown and slightly charred, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Continue turning your chicken every 10 minutes ending with the skin side up.
- Before the last turn, sprinkle the Montreal chicken seasoning to the bone-side of the chicken.
- Turn the chicken for the final time and shake some Montreal chicken seasoning and then spread BBQ sauce over the skin side.
- Grill for a few minutes to ensure the BBQ sauce caramelizes on the chicken.