This Blood Orange Avocado Salad is both healthy and delicious with so many wonderful ingredients! Macadamia Nut Oil is one of my favorite oils to blend with an 18-year aged Balsamic Vinegar. For this recipe I mixed it with Agave Nectar to provide a clean, crisp appearance showcasing the fresh ingredients. Spinach is great nutritional ingredient for a salad however for this recipe Butter Lettuce was selected. One cup of Butter Lettuce is 5 calories providing about 30% of vitamin A. Sometimes it is nice to change it up a bit!
Avocados are a great source of healthy fat; but remember in moderation. Almonds are good for the heart – just remember to purchase raw almonds – no added salt. They are high in calories so be careful about adding too many. Slivered almonds are a nice way to control the calories. Dried fruit can be high in sugar and calories so add a few for color and a bit more sweetness.
This wonderful recipe was adapted from: Healthiest Meals on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What Meals to Eat and Why by Jonny Bowden. You can find this valuable book at this location.
Blood Orange Avocado Salad with Macadamia Nut Oil Dressing
- 2 cups Butter Lettuce washed and leaves torn into pieces
- 1 Ripe Avocado cut into slices
- 1 Blood Orange peeled and separated into segments
- 1/8 cup Almond Slivers
- 1/8 cup Dried Fruit such as Cranberries or Apricots
- 2 tbsp Macadamia Nut Oil
- 1 tsp Agave Nectar / Raw Honey
- Place Butter Lettuce on a plate and then add the avocado, blood orange segments and top with sliced almonds and dried fruit.
- Mix together macadamia nut oil with sweetener and then drizzle over salad.