A stack of Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes overflowing with fresh Blueberries and syrup is a delicious way to start your morning! They are beautiful with blueberries dropped onto each pancake while cooking on the griddle. Serve with more blueberries, Kerrygold Butter, and warm syrup! These Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes are worthy of the finest Bed and Breakfast.Jump to Recipe
Whole Wheat Pancake Mix
This recipe requires only a few ingredients so be sure to purchase quality Whole Wheat flour and fresh, plump blueberries! If your only option is frozen blueberries, then feel free to substitute them. The pancake batter is thicker which holds up nicely when adding the blueberries. If you are not comfortable with using Whole Wheat Flour consider using White Whole Wheat Flour that is lighter, milder tasting flour. My preference is King Arthur Flour. Their White Whole Wheat Flour claim to fame is “Identity-Preserved Wheat”. Their wheat is grown from certified seeds, using sustainable farming practices, and traceable from field to flour.
The finished Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes stacked beautifully! In fact, the recipe makes so many pancakes that I could not stack all of them!
How to Make Blueberry Pancakes
Blueberry pancakes are easy to make. Start by rinsing and drying the fresh blueberries in preparation for making the pancakes. Sift together the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Preheat the oven to its warm setting. I like to place my pancakes in the oven to stay warm while I am making them. Prepare your griddle with a non-stick spray and pre-heat on medium heat. The griddle is ready when a drop of water or pancake batter sizzles.
Pour the batter onto the griddle and add about 8 blueberries to each pancake. Cook about 3-minutes or until the bubbles start to pop. Carefully check the underside of a pancake to see if it is brown. Then turn over the pancakes to cook for about another minute. Look how the pancakes rise during cooking with the delicious batter surrounding the blueberries!
Place the whole wheat flour pancakes into the oven on a baking sheet to keep them warm. Don’t they look beautiful with the blueberries baked into the pancakes! Makes 12 to 16 depending upon the size. Serve your stack of Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes with your favorite toppings.
Freeze Ahead and Enjoy Later
The Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes can be made ahead of time and placed in the freezer. Before freezing, cool pancakes completely to avoid moisture. Place in a freezer safe Ziploc bag using wax paper as a divider between each pancake. When ready to enjoy thaw the desired amount of pancakes overnight in the refrigerator. You can either microwave about 15 to 30 seconds or reheat in a 350 degree oven for about 10-minutes.
Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 3 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 3 Eggs
- 1 3/4 cup Milk 2%
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 ½ cup Blueberries fresh
- Kerrygold Butter
- Warm Syrup
- Preheat oven to its warm setting. I like to place my pancakes in the oven to stay warm while I am making them.
- Rinse and dry the fresh blueberries.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Prepare the griddle with a non-stick spray and pre-heat on medium heat. Make sure the grill is hot. If a drop of water or pancake batter sizzles the grill is ready.
- Pour batter (1/4 to 1/2 cup) onto the griddle and add about 8 blueberries to each pancake.
- Cook about 3-minutes or until the bubbles start to pop.
- Then turn over and cook for about another minute.
- Place in the oven on a baking sheet to keep them warm.
- Serve your stack of Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes with your favorite toppings.