Are you planning your Big Game menu? How about a Buffalo Inspired theme? Living in the Buffalo region, we love our Chicken Wings! We are the home of Frank & Teressa’s Anchor Bar Original Chicken Wings which is the inspiration for my Buffalo Turkey Meatballs. It is a fabulous twist on traditional Meatballs using Anchor Bar Wing Sauce! Chicken Wings are served with carrots and celery which is added to the meatballs for more flavor and moisture! Add a side of blue cheese dressing for dipping and it is hard to stop eating them! Read on for step by step instructions and other Buffalo Inspired game day food! Buffalo Style Meatballs are great for make ahead meals as you can make a batch on Sunday for the week. Plus make a batch for the freezer for meals later on!
Buffalo Meatball Recipe
Typically I make 3 recipes with freezing individual meal portions for a quick dinner during the week! For dinner consider adding mashed potatoes or rice as a carb and of course a side of carrots and celery! They require a few simple steps to prepare them. Shred a few carrots and dice a few celery stalks to blend into the Ground Turkey. For the breadcrumbs, blend together Panko breadcrumbs with sour cream and a large egg. Let it sit for five minutes to soften the Panko breadcrumbs. Add the Panko mixture to the Ground Turkey mix along with a few seasonings. Then you are ready to start making the Buffalo Turkey Meatballs.
Dampen your hands and shape the meatballs into desired size. I use a ¼ cup measuring cup for a regular size meatballs and ⅛ cup for appetizer size. Add Olive Oil to a frying pan and once warm start browning the meatballs.
While the meatballs are browning make your Buffalo Wing Sauce by blending together the Chicken Broth, Anchor Bar Wing Sauce, and ketchup. Alternatively you could make it earlier. Once the meatballs are brown, pour the sauce over them, cover and simmer until cooked through.
Browning the Meatballs
My Lodge Cast Iron pan does a great job at browning the meatballs without them sticking. (It weighs a ridiculous weight so care is taken to not drop it!) Unfortunately, I tend to have problems when using my stainless steel pan with the meatballs sometimes sticking. My best approach is to brown the meatballs in the Lodge Cast Iron pan and then transfer to another pan to finish cooking in the Buffalo Wing Sauce.
The Buffalo Turkey Meatballs can be browned in the oven; however you need to be careful because they go from being browned to drying out. This happened to me once and since then I only brown them on the stove top where I have more control. Other options include using Ground Beef (which may work better in the oven due to the added fat) and Ground Chicken. I adapted this recipe from Food TV. Don’t they look delicious!!
Buffalo Wing Sauce
We use Anchor Bar Wing Sauce that comes in five flavors that include mild, medium, hotter, suicidal and BBQ. You can never have too much since it works well in other recipes such as Buffalo Style Potatoes, Chicken Wing Pizza, dips and the list goes on. To learn more about the Anchor Bar and ordering their Wing Sauce please go to their website. Before we head over to the recipe, do not forget that Buffalo Turkey Meatballs make a wonderful appetizer or even as a smaller serving for children.
Make Ahead Meals
Buffalo Turkey Meatballs are a great make ahead meal. They freeze and reheat nicely. This makes preparing for game day easy since you can make them ahead of time thawing before the big game!
Basically, once the meatballs have cooled a bit, divide them into freezer safe containers depending upon serving size. As an example, we freeze 5 meatballs for one meal (3 for hubby and 2 for me). Remove from the freezer one to two days to thaw in the refrigerator. Reheat either in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop which is my preference. If serving as an appetizer, be sure to add a bowl of blue cheese, plus carrots and celery.
Buffalo Inspired Game Day Food!
There is nothing like Buffalo Wing Sauce and game day food! Lets get started with a Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip! A great dip for your healthier conscious fans since we substitute a few lower fat ingredients to make it a bit healthier! Now for you potato lovers, with have Buffalo Style Potatoes with Blue Cheese. Wing sauce and potatoes are an awesome combination. Pizza lovers – we have not forgotten about you! How about a Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza or a Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Pizza. It all depends upon how hot you want that pizza! Enjoy your game day feast!
Thank you for Following Supper Plate
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Buffalo Turkey MeatballsPin Recipe
- Large mixing bowl
- Casserole cookware with lid (such as a 5.5 QT)
- Medium sized bowl
- Instant read meat thermometer
- Small bowl
- Serving platter
- Freezer safe containers if freezing
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Large Carrot shredded
- 1 Large Celery Stalk finely diced
- 1 pound Ground Turkey
- 1/2 tsp Basil dried
- 1 clove Garlic grated
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Chicken Broth low-sodium
- 1/2 cup Original Anchor Bar Wing Sauce your favorite heat
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 2 Scallions finely chopped, optional
Blue Cheese Dip:
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese 2 ounces
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- Carrots and Celery
- Mix 2 tablespoons sour cream and egg until smooth in a large bowl and then add the Panko; let sit 5 minutes.
- Add shredded carrot and diced celery into the bowl with the Panko mixture.
- Add the ground turkey, basil, garlic, pepper, salt and mix with your hands until combined.
- Dampen your hands and shape the mixture into desired size. You can make mini meatballs for an appetizer or regular size.
- Add olive oil in a casserole cookware heating over medium-high heat.
- Add prepared turkey meatballs in small batches to brown.
- While the meatballs are browning mix together the Chicken Broth, Buffalo Wing Sauce and Ketchup in a medium sized bowl.
- Once the meatballs are brown pour the Wing Sauce mixture over them. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cover, simmer until tender and cooked through using an Instant read meat thermometer.
- At the end add the scallions.
Blue Cheese Dip:
- Mix the blue cheese and sour cream in a small bowl.
- Transfer the meatballs to a bowl and serve with the vegetable sticks and blue cheese dip.