Appetizers are one of my favorite ways to introduce new flavor profiles. It is fun trying something new in a small bite. It allows you to be creative while playing it safe with dinner. Basically find an ingredient you want to sample and make it into an appetizer. For us that ingredient is Gruyere cheese. It sound interesting with its complex creamy and nutty flavor that changes with age. This led to Cheese Pinwheels with a blend of Gruyere cheese complemented by the sharp complex taste of Parmigiano Reggiani.
Cheese Pinwheels are a delicious appetizer with a bit of sharpness from the cheese and the Honey Dijon Mustard. Then add the bright flavor of freshly chopped basil and and mild onion flavor of chives. Better yet there are only a few ingredients, making them quick to make.
They are best enjoyed hot out of the oven while the flavors blend together. But if you have left overs do not throw them out! They can be reheated the next day in the microwave on a microwave safe plate lined with a paper towel for about 15 to 20 seconds.
Making the Cheese Pinwheels
Now let’s start making our Cheese Pinwheels! Remove one sheet of puff pastry from the freezer to start unthawing. Make a simple egg wash by mixing together one egg with one tablespoon water. In a small bowl mix together the cheese filling. Now we are ready to start rolling our pinwheels! Place a puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin carefully flatten out the creases. Brush the puff pastry with half of the egg wash. Reserve the remaining egg wash for the pinwheels. Evenly spread the cheese filling ingredients over the puff pastry to almost the end. Starting at the side closest to you, roll the pastry up like a jelly roll. Blend in the seam to keep them from bursting.
Cut the Cheese Pinwheels roll into 15 slices. A serrated bread knife worked best for me when slicing through the dough. Carefully place the slices onto a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray or lined with parchment paper. Lightly brush pinwheel tops with remaining egg wash. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Check them a few minutes early since puff pastry dough burns easily. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe inspired from Fine Cooking Appetizers: 200 Recipes for Small Bites with Big Flavor
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy
Pumpkin Dip with Cool Whip
Cheese PinwheelsPin Recipe
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Small bowl
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry brush
- Serrated knife
Egg Wash Ingredients
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Water
Cheese Filling Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Honey Dijon mustard
- 1 cup Gruyère Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano finely grated
- 1 tbsp Chives dried less if using fresh Chives
- 1 tbsp Basil fresh
- 1 Sheet Frozen Puff Pastry thawed and room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly coat with a non-stick spray.
- Unfold and unthaw a Puff Pastry Sheet.
Egg Wash Preparation
- Prepare the egg wash in a small bowl mixing with a fork.
Cheese Filling Preparation
- Mix together the filling ingredients in a small bowl.
- Lightly flour a work surface and place the puff pastry on the work surface.
- Using a rolling pin carefully flatten out the creases.
- Do not let the puff pastry dough get too soft because it can be hard to work with requiring more flour on your board and hands. If it is too soft you may need to use your hands to flatten out the creases.
- Brush the puff pastry with half of the egg wash. Reserve the remaining egg wash for the pinwheels.
- Evenly spread the cheese filling ingredients over the puff pastry to almost the end.
- Starting at the side closest to you, roll the pastry up like a jelly roll.
- Blend in the seam to keep them from bursting.
- Cut the roll into 15 slices. A serrated bread knife worked best for me when slicing through the dough.
- Carefully place the slices onto a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with a non-stick spray or lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush pinwheel tops with remaining egg wash.
- Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until light golden brown. Check them a few minutes early since puff pastry dough burns easily.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
12 thoughts on “Cheese Pinwheels”
I love appetisers and these looks really great! That touch of Honey Dijon Mustard is intriguing me 🤪 What a creative touch 😉😋
Thank you! Appetizers are so much fun to try. Whenever I can, I substitute Honey Dijon for regular mustard. An added touch of flavor. 😀
Such a yummy Preparation 😋
Easy and delicious recipe! I look forward to trying it.
Thank you! They are yummy!
I’m making all appetizers for Christmas perfect timing!
Sounds wonderful! I love appetizers!!
They look delicious.
Thank you! 💕
They are yummy!! 💕