Chocolate Drop Cookies topped with a delicious Chocolate Frosting are a childhood favorite! Many generations in our family enjoyed these cookies. Biting into this soft cookie brings back those warm memories of past holidays! Enjoy these easy to make cookies with or without the Chocolate Frosting. My preference is with the decadent Chocolate Frosting!Jump to Recipe
Soft Chocolate Drop Cookies Recipe
Making these Chocolate Drop Cookies is super easy. Start with creaming the butter, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs. Melt 2 ounces of baking chocolate blending into the wet ingredients. The final step consists of adding and mixing in the dry ingredients. It really is that easy!!
The Chocolate Frosting recipe is simple to make. Melt the butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan. Remove the saucepan from the heat to stir in remaining ingredients. The amount of Confectioners’ Sugar and hot water depends upon the desired thickness.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line several cookie pans with parchment paper for easy clean up! Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the cookie pan two inches apart. Place the cookie pans into the oven to bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the cookies are set. Remove from the oven letting the cookies cool for a minute before transferring to a cooling rack. Frost the cookies once completely cooled or just before serving. The Chocolate Drop Cookies are great room temperature and from the refrigerator with a cold frosting!
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy:
Chocolate Drop Cookies
Cookies Wet Ingredients
- ½ cup Butter softened
- 1 cup White Sugar
- ⅓ cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 2 oz. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate melted
Cookies Dry Ingredients
- 1 ¾ cups Flour sifted
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- 2 oz. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- 3 tbsp Hot Water
- Heat oven to 400°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter.
- Gradually beat in sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs.
- Melt 2 ounces of chocolate mixing into the wet ingredients.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients.
- On cookie sheet, drop the cookie dough by the tablespoonful about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until almost no indentation remains when touched lightly in the center.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
Chocolate Frosting Preparation
- In a 2-quart saucepan melt 2 ounces chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter over low heat, stirring occasionally; then remove from heat.
- Stir in the Confectioners’ Sugar and hot water until smooth and desired texture is achieved.
- If frosting is too thick, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time. If frosting is too thin, add more Confectioners’ Sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Spread Chocolate Frosting over cookies and decorate with festive sprinkles if desired!