Surprise your guests with a delicious Christmas Figgy Pudding adding a Victorian flare to your dinner! Enjoy the sweetness of the figs with warm undertones of spices. Top with a Rum Icing or enjoy an alcohol free Christmas Pudding by eliminating the Rum. Or consider a Rum soaked Figgy Pudding by pouring Rum over the pudding while still warm. Any way you serve it, takes you back to a different time!Jump to Recipe
Figgy Pudding Recipe
There are many options when serving a Christmas Figgy Pudding that includes a Rum focused dessert or alcohol free where the sweetness of the figs and spices are the dominant flavors. Consider serving warm or at room temperature to enjoy the flavors.
Gather the ingredients and start with creaming the butter until fluffy adding in molasses, buttermilk, and eggs. Slowly add and mix in dry ingredients ending with mixing in the figs and walnuts. Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray that includes the flour. This makes it so much easier to remove the Christmas Figgy Pudding from the bundt pan. Pour the batter in the prepared bundt pan placing into a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 50 to 60 until firm. Let cool for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove to cool on baking rack. Figgy Pudding is a heavy, dense cake.
Serving Christmas Figgy Pudding
Enjoy Figgy Pudding with or without alcohol. A popular option is to wrap the warm Figgy Pudding with cheesecloth pouring Rum over the top allowing it to soak through the pudding. Then top the warm Figgy Pudding with a Rum Icing, which will then slightly melt and is just fabulous! Serve it warm or at room temperature. Remember to store it tightly wrapped so it does not dry out! Add the Rum Icing to the portion of Figgy Pudding that you will enjoy. When ready for another piece, reheat in the microwave, adding some of the Rum Icing.
Another option is to add the Rum Icing to the warm Christmas Figgy Pudding without pouring Rum over the cake. Or when making the Icing, eliminate the Rum for an non-alcoholic version.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy:
Christmas Figgy Pudding
- ½ cup Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup Molasses
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Flour sifted
- 1/2 tsp Orange Or Lemon Peel grated
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp Cloves
- 2 cups Dried Figs about 1 pound, stems removed, chopped
- ½ cup Walnuts chopped
Rum Icing for the Figgy Pudding
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp stick butter — softened
- 1 to 2 tbsp Rum
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat at 325 degrees.
- Figgy Pudding bakes for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Spray a Bundt Pan with non-stick spray.
Initial Ingredients Preparation
- Sift the flour into a medium size bowl
- Add the remaining dry ingredients
- Prepare the dried figs by removing the stems and chopping to desired size
- Chop the walnuts
Figgy Pudding Preparation
- Cream the butter until fluffy
- Add Molasses and blend
- Add Buttermilk and Blend
- Mix in eggs
- Slowly blend in the dry ingredients until incorporated
- Mix in the Dried Figs and Walnuts
- Spray a Bundt Pan with nonstick spray
- Pour batter into the Bundt Pan
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until firm.
Rum Icing Preparation
- Place the butter in a small mixing bowl and blend with a hand mixer.
- Slowly add powdered sugar, rum and vanilla blending until smooth.
- Eliminate the rum for a non-alcoholic version.
- Additional ingredients may be needed depending upon thickness desired.
- Pour over a warm Figgy Pudding.