Grab a glass of milk and enjoy these over the top Double Chocolate Chip Cookies! Experience an intense, decadent cookie made with Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa. Or enjoy a cloud-like cookie by using regular cocoa powder. Either way, they are awesome! And if you are a chocolate lover, top each cookie with chocolate chips. Then indulge in a Double Chocolate Chip Cookie warm out of the oven with its gooey chocolate chips in every bite! You can thank me later!Jump to Recipe
Chocolate Cookie Recipe
First determine which version of the Double Chocolate Chip Cookies to bake. For a light, soft cookie, use regular cocoa powder. Whereas dark cocoa powder produces a soft cookie that is dense and intense. Regardless of the version, I use dark chocolate chips but milk chocolate chips would also work.
Gather your baking ingredients and start with creaming the butter, mixing in the brown sugar and vanilla. Before adding the dry ingredients, sift to remove any lumps. Then mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients alternating with the buttermilk. Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for two hours or even overnight. Chilling the dough makes it much easier to form the cookies. When ready to make the cookies, mix together some flour and cocoa powder to flour your hands. I like to mix both together to avoid having white flour on chocolate cookies which tends to remain after baking.
Scoop out desired size of cookie dough to form into a ball placing two inches apart on a cookie pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 9 to 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking pan to set before moving to a cooling rack. The cookies are soft, especially with all the melted chocolate chips. Moving too soon can result in a cookie blowout! If adding chocolate chips to top the cookies, increase the cooling time once out of the oven. Typically I place them in the refrigerator to properly set.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy:
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1 ½ cups Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ⅔ cup Buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour sifted
- ¾ cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder or Light Cocoa Powder sifted
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
Add In Ingredients
- 2 cups Dark Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Chips
- Extra Dark Chocolate Chips or Milk Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two or three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes with cooling slightly on the pan to set before moving to a cookie rack.
- Cookies topped with chocolate chips require longer cooling time on the cookie rack.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream butter and then add brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the dough for two hours or overnight.
- Mix a little flour and cocoa powder to flour your hands when forming the cookies.
- Form the dough into 1 inch balls and place them onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Top each cookie with additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, for 9 to 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes to set, and then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.