Green Beans with Cranberries is a fresh approach to serving a green bean casserole during the holiday season. A wonderful Walnut based vinaigrette dressing coats the green beans. We add layers of flavor from the sweetness of the cranberries, the earthiness of the toasted walnuts topped with the richness of crumbled bleu cheese. Now I know some people do not like bleu cheese so consider another cheese such as feta. You can definitely modify this recipe to make it your own! It is a cold salad so you can make the Walnut vinaigrette dressing ahead of time along with steaming the green beans. Assemble just before serving. And if you have company asking what can they do to help…. well let them toss together the salad!Jump to Recipe
Green Beans with Cranberries Recipe
We start with steaming and blanching the fresh green beans. Drain them, dry thoroughly, and cut into bite size pieces. Toast the walnuts with a little butter on the stove top to bring out their flavors. In a small bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, vinegar and Dijon mustard. Stir in the salt and pepper to your own taste. Add the cold green beans to a large bowl and toss in the walnuts, cranberries, shallots and drizzle in the vinaigrette. Place on a festive platter and sprinkle with the blue cheese. Just like that you have a delicious and healthy green bean salad for your holiday meal!
Making the Green Beans with Cranberries Ahead of Time
During the holidays, we rarely have enough time to assemble the final dishes for the big meal. This dish is wonderful because you can prepare the ingredients ahead of time. Personally, I believe making the Walnut vinaigrette dressing the prior day allows for the flavors to properly blend. Also toast the walnuts the prior day storing in the refrigerator since they are toasted with butter. Plus prepare the cranberries and shallots the prior day. The morning of the big meal, steam the green beans. Just before dinner assemble the salad or better yet ask a guest to toss everything together placing on a festive platter! Pour a glass of wine for yourself and enjoy all your hardwork in preparing the holiday meal!
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy
Green Beans with Cranberries
- 24 ounces Fresh Green Beans trimmed
- 3 tbsp Roasted Walnut Oil
- 1 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Toasted Walnuts chopped
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 Shallot thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 ounces Bleu Cheese crumbled
- Steam the green beans to desired tenderness. Blanch the green beans in cold water for a few minutes to stop them from cooking. Drain and dry well.
- Cut in half for bite-size green beans.
- Toast the walnuts with a little butter on the stove top to bring out their flavors.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, vinegar and Dijon mustard. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- Add the cool green beans to a large bowl and toss in the walnuts, cranberries and shallots and drizzle in the vinaigrette.
- Place on a platter or serving dish and sprinkle with the blue cheese.