Are you looking for a Healthy Zucchini Bread with minimal sugar that includes whole wheat flour, applesauce, coconut oil, walnuts with an undertone of spices? And as a bonus it is a super moist bread with a ton of shredded zucchini! Top off a warm thick slice with Kerrygold butter or a drizzle of raw honey to marry together all the wonderful flavors!Jump to Recipe
Do You Peel Zucchini?
A popular question when using Zucchini in a recipe is do you peel the Zucchini? The quick answer is no. Do not peel the Zucchini just give it a quick rinse, dry it, cut off the ends, then shred. Zucchini is mostly water so it will melt into your recipe, which is also why it is important to include other ingredients that becomes the dominant flavor over the Zucchini. I have made Healthy Zucchini Bread with 2 ½ cups shredded Zucchini and 2 cups with the latter being slightly less moist but not dry either.
Selecting a Coconut Oil
For this recipe my preference is unrefined coconut oil since it is a less processed form of coconut oil. Unrefined coconut oil is made from coconut meat that goes through a quicker process than refined coconut retaining the coconut flavor. To learn more about coconut oil refer to this article. Then you can make your own decision on what type of Coconut Oil to use in this Healthy Zucchini Bread recipe.
Healthy Zucchini Bread Preparation
Get ready to make a super easy, super quick bread! Start with measuring and sifting the dry ingredients twice to remove any lumps and combine the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Grate 2 ½ cups Zucchini which takes very little time due to the water volume. In a smaller bowl mix together the wet ingredients and melt the coconut oil. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and then blend in the grated Zucchini and chopped walnuts. It would also be fun to stir in ½ cup of dark chocolate chips! Pour into two prepared baking pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-minutes. Remove from the oven and cool until you can handle the pans to remove the Healthy Zucchini Bread. Be sure to enjoy a warm slice!
Beachbody 21-Day Fix
Healthy Zucchini Bread recipe is part of the 21-Day Fix plan as a snack!! I got this recipe from Beachbody and if you are doing the 21-Day Fix you will want to refer to their recipe to ensure your ingredients are correct for the container conversion. Click here for the official Beachbody recipe. This is a wonderful treat to make ahead of time for meal planning. Once the Healthy Zucchini Bread has cooled cut it into 20-slices (the approved serving) and wrap tightly with Saran Wrap, place in a freezer friendly bag and place in the freezer. My preparation for lunch starts the night before by taking one serving out of the freezer to unthaw in the refrigerator.
Healthy Zucchini Bread
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour or Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- ¾ tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Cloves
- 6 Large Egg Whites
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil melted
- ½ cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2½ cups Zucchini grated and not peeled
- ½ cup Raw Walnuts chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 and lightly spray two 9×5-inch loaf pans with a non-stick spray. Or line your loaf pans with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the bread. Just leave about two inches hanging over the loaf pan for easy removal.
- Sift dry ingredients together, twice in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slowly add and mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the shredded Zucchini and Walnuts.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35-minutes or until toothpick comes out of the center fairly clean but not dry.
- Cool for a few minutes, remove the bread from the pan and completely cool.
- Divide into 20-slices.