Nothing warms the heart more than a hearty bowl of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup! It is the ultimate comfort food with its rich, nourishing broth that instantly warms your soul. Enjoy a bowl with its depth of flavor bringing in the undertone of sweetness from the roasted root vegetables. You will not want to stop eating this soup!Jump to Recipe
Chicken Noodle Soup Broth
A wonderful benefit of making your own soup is enjoying the old fashion aroma of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup as it fills the kitchen! Plus the broth is super easy to make. Use a quality Chicken Broth since it forms the foundation of this soup. My preference is Pacific Foods Organic Free Range Chicken Broth that adds depth of flavor with sea salt and seasonings. I love the rich color and taste of this Chicken Broth over the cheaper versions. Alternatively you could make your own chicken broth using the chicken from the broth for the soup!
Let’s start making our soup. In a large soup pot add Olive Oil, celery and onions. Cook until tender. Then add the Chicken Broth, chopped Chicken, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and basil simmering for 45-minutes.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
While the chicken broth is simmering, roast the vegetables to bring out their delicious natural sweet flavors. Once roasted, add to the soup broth and simmer for about another 45-minutes to introduce their natural sweetness into the broth. Make the soup noodles in a separate pan according to the package instructions. When ready to serve ladle the soup into each serving bowl adding desired amount of cooked soup noodles. Gently stir the noodles into the soup and then top with freshly chopped flat leaf parsley.
Do not add the noodles to the soup pot because they often soak up all the broth when stored in the refrigerator! Store the cooked noodles in a small bowl with some chicken broth. When reheating the soup, add cooked soup noodles and freshly chopped parsley. Look at the beautiful, bright, rich, healthy colors of the root vegetables and parsley! I instantly feel healthier after enjoying a bowl of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup!
Roasting the Vegetables
Roasted vegetables brings out their natural flavors adding another dimension to this soup including a natural sweet undertone from the parsnips. You can make the Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup without roasting the vegetables but there is a noticeable difference in the flavor introduced by the roasted vegetables. Start with lining a roasting pan with foil for easy clean-up or spray a casserole pan with non-stick spray. The vegetables will brown using either method. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place sliced vegetables tossed in olive oil in the prepared roasting pans baking for 30 to 40 minutes. Flip the vegetables part way through roasting for even cooking. The Sweet Potatoes do start to fall apart; but do not be concerned as they will add a wonderful roasted flavor to the soup. The aroma of roasted root vegetables will make you hungry filling your home with a warm, cozy feeling.
Immune Boosting Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
My selection of root vegetables, including sweet potatoes, for my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is based upon Grandma’s Recipe. I like how the grandmother placed all the vegetables in a food processor to chop them finely so ensure all her children received their nutrients. Do you ever wonder if Chicken Noodle soup really helps boost your immune system or if its warmth is just comforting when one is sick? I did some research and found a fascinating study from the University of Nebraska Medical Center Physician and Researcher Stephen Rennard, M.D. Grandma’s Recipe was used as part of his study and inspired me to change my approach to Chicken Noodle Soup! Personally, I am healthier when enjoying this wonderful soup during cold and flu season.
Make Ahead Tips
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup can easily be made and served within the same day. However, sometimes it is nice to break up the steps as a time saver.
- Using Rotisserie Chicken is a definite time saver.
- Roast the vegetables a day early to reduce clean up time of those roasting pans.
- Chop the onions and celery a day before allowing you to start the Chicken Broth without any preparation.
Thank you for Following Supper Plate
You Might Enjoy
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1 cup Celery sliced at an angle
- 12 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 large Sweet Onion diced
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 cups Rotisserie Chicken chopped
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 1 tbsp Basil
Roasted Vegetable Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups Parsnips chopped
- 2 cups Turnips chopped
- 2 cups Carrots chopped
- 2 cups Sweet Potatoes chopped
- 2 cups Soup Noodles such as Filini pasta
- Flat-Leaf Parsley chopped
Soup Broth Instructions
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pan and sauté the chopped onions for a few minutes.
- Add the diced and sliced celery cooking for a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth, chicken, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and basil.
- Bring to a gentle boil and then lower heat to simmer for about 45-minutes.
Roast Vegetables Instructions
- While the soup broth is simmering, preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line or spray a roasting pan.
- Shake the chopped vegetables with olive oil.
- Place into the prepared roasting pan.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes flipping the vegetables at least once for even cooking.
Chicken Noodle Soup Instructions
- Once the vegetables are roasted, add to the soup broth.
- Simmer for about 45-minutes.
- Make the soup noodles according to package.
- When serving the soup, add desired amount of noodles to the bowl.
- Top with freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley.