A Homemade Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting is my favorite dessert! The rich chocolate flavor of the cake compliments the nuttiness of the peanut butter. We are talking pure perfection! Did you know there is a science behind our love affair with chocolate and peanut butter? Dynamic sensory contrast is the official name. What does this mean? It is simple. Our taste buds love when food have contrasting textures. Keep that in mind the next time you over-indulge – it really is not our fault!Jump to Recipe
Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
I love the ingredients that make this cake moist and dense. The buttermilk introduces moisture and keeps the cake tender. Adding the applesauce keeps the cake moist and fresher longer. And our final ingredient worthy of discussion is a cup of strong coffee. It intensifies the chocolate flavor of this super moist Homemade Chocolate Cake! Our preference is Eight O’Clock Columbian coffee from the whole beans. (This is not a sponsor plug – just the coffee we enjoy every day.)
Gather all your ingredients and start with sifting the dry ingredients twice into a medium size bowl. Using an electric mixer, blend together the wet ingredients, except for the coffee, in a large mixing bowl. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients adding the coffee to keep the flying flour to a minimum. Spray two 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pans evenly with a non-stick spray that includes flour or add a little cocoa powder to the cake pans shaking to coat. Evenly distribute the cake batter into the cake pans. Bake for 35-minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Let the Homemade Chocolate Cake cool completely before frosting. This is the hard part. I like to place them in the refrigerator overnight to reduce crumbs getting into the peanut butter frosting. See my recipe Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting for the recipe and tips for frosting a cake. Slice and enjoy! You can thank me later.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy
Homemade Chocolate CakePin Recipe
- Flour sifter
- Two 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pan
- Medium bowl
- Mixing bowl and mixer (ie., stand up mixer or hand mixer)
Cake Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3/4 cups Cocoa Powder special dark
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
Cake Wet Ingredients
- 1 cup Buttermilk shaken and at room temperature
- 1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 large Eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 cup Freshly Brewed Hot Coffee
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pans evenly with a non-stick spray.
- Add a little Cocoa Powder to each cake pan and shake to coat.
- Sift the cake ingredients twice into a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, blend together the wet ingredients (except for the coffee) in a large mixing bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients scraping down the bowl sides as needed.
- Add the coffee and stir just to combine.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for ten minutes then remove to a cooling rack to fully cool.
- Top with your favorite frosting and enjoy!