Nectarine Upside Down Cake is a beautiful, rustic cake perfect for the fall season or special occasion! Enjoy the sweet and warm undertones from the nectarines, plums and freshly grated ginger. This is a perfect dessert for those who prefer a frosting-free cake showcasing the fruit and ginger! When serving the Nectarine Upside Down Cake, top a generous slice with freshly made whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert!Jump to Recipe
Upside Down Cake Recipe
Nectarine Upside Down Cake can include two large nectarines or substitute a plum for one of the nectarines for added color and flavor. Adding to the flavor profile is ginger, which is part of the cake and fruit topping. The cake includes a tablespoon of ground ginger and the fruit topping has 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger. Feel free to add more or less ginger to suit your own preference. Either way you cannot go wrong with this delicious cake!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a round baking pan with non-stick spray, lightly flour the pan sides, and line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal. The cake batter is simple to make. Cream together the wet ingredients with adding the dry ingredients. Pour batter into the baking pan. Place the cake in the oven to bake for 15-minutes.
Prepare the fruit topping while the cake is in the oven. It takes a few minutes to assemble. In a medium size bowl, combine the sliced fruit and grated ginger. Add the sugar and flour mixing to evenly coat the fruit. Remove the cake from the oven after 15-minutes of baking. Distribute the fruit topping over the cake. Work quickly and do not worry about being perfect either. Place the cake into the oven baking for 35 – 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool the cake for 15-minutes. Loosen the cake by running a knife around the inside edge of the pan and turn upside down on a cooling rack. Then turn upside down onto a serving plate revealing the beautiful fruit. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy with homemade Whipped Cream or Ice Cream if desired.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy:
Nectarine Upside Down Cake
- Flour sifter
- Medium bowl
- 9×2-inch round cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl and mixer (ie., stand up mixer or hand mixer)
Cake Dry Ingredients
- 1 1/3 cups Flour sifted
- 1 tbsp Ground Ginger
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Cake Wet Ingredients
- 6 Tbsp Butter room temperature
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ⅔ cup Sour Cream
Fruit Topping Ingredients
- 1 Plum halved pitted, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 Nectarine halved pitted, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tbsp Ginger freshly grated
- 3 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Flour
Serving Ingredients, Optional
- Whipped Cream
- Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9×2-inch round cake pan with non-stick spray. Lightly flour the side, shaking out any excess flour. Line the bottom with parchment circle cut to fit the pan.
- In a medium bowl sift and combine the dry ingredients.
- In a mixer cream the butter and then add the brown sugar blending until well incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just blended
- Add the vanilla.
- Fold in half the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the sour cream and add remaining dry ingredients. (Keep the bowl for the next step.)
- Spoon the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
Fruit Topping Directions
- In a medium size bowl used for the dry ingredients, combine the sliced fruit and grated ginger.
- Toss until the ginger is well distributed.
- Add the sugar and flour mixing to evenly coat the fruit.
- Remove the cake from the oven after 15-minutes of baking.
- Place the fruit topping over the cake. Work quickly and do not worry about being perfect.
- Return the cake to the oven and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Loosen the cake by running a knife around the inside edge of the pan and turn upside down on a cooling rack. Remove the parchment paper. Then turn upside down on a serving plate revealing the beautiful fruit.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serve with homemade Whipped Cream or Ice Cream if desired.