Over the years hubby and I prepare a Scallop dinner on New Year’s Eve. It is a delicious way to ring in the new year! We have fun coming up with new recipes to enjoy. One year we were looking at a variety of orange theme ingredients in our pantry. That led to making Orange Scallops with a delicious Orange Liqueur sauce. Perfect for anyone who enjoys a blend of sweet orange flavors with the zesty freshness of ginger. As for serving suggestions, it pairs beautifully with a side of rice and steamed asparagus. Be sure to pour some of the Orange Ginger sauce over the rice and asparagus.Jump to Recipe
Making the Orange Scallops
My preference is to use fresh scallops over the frozen variety. Unfortunately the frozen scallops dramatically reduce in size when cooking them. Given the cost of scallops, we only purchase fresh. We start with trimming the side muscle from the scallops. Then gently rinse and dry each scallop. Do not skip the step of properly drying them since excess liquid can cause them to steam. Have all your ingredients ready since once you start to cook the scallops the process moves quickly. This includes your side dishes. Have them heated and ready to go! Unless you are great at quickly multi-tasking across dishes while making the Orange Scallops!
Take out a heavy saucepan and add the sauce ingredients. Stir together and cook over low heat until warm. Mix in the arrowroot powder just before serving to thicken the sauce. Add olive oil to a heavy pan and heat. Place the scallops into the hot pan. Cook on each side until they reach 130°F internal temperature and the flesh is milky white, or opaque and firm. Plate immediately pouring the warm sauce over them. Top the Orange Scallops with fresh chives. Serve with a side of rice and steamed asparagus. Pour some of the orange ginger sauce over them to enjoy all the flavors.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 12 Scallops
Orange Ginger Sauce Ingredients
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Orange Liqueur
- 1/4 cup Mirin sweet rice wine
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce low sodium
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger fresh if possible
- 1/2 tsp Arrowroot to thicken the sauce
- Fresh Chives
Orange Ginger Sauce Preparation
- Place all ingredients except for the arrowroot in a small saucepan and heat.
- Just before serving add arrowroot and cook for a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
- Trim the side muscle from the scallops.
- Gently rinse and dry each Scallop.
- Add olive oil to a heavy pan and heat.
- Add the scallops and cook on each scallop side until they reach 130°F internal temperature and the flesh is milky white, or opaque and firm.
- Plate immediately pouring the warm Orange Ginger Sauce over them.