A great way to start your day at 50 cents a hotcake! While on vacation in New Hampshire we stayed at a rustic Bed and Breakfast with incredible mountain views. Every day we woke up hungry from all the fresh mountain air and hiking. B&Bs are a fun way to mix up our typical breakfast menu with the hope of enjoying something new. It is always an adventure of what awaits us at the breakfast table. One morning we came downstairs to the aroma of hotcakes! We devoured some wonderful Ricotta Hotcakes topped with a warm homemade Blueberry Sauce! They are light and fluffy – it is hard to only eat a couple! It really does not get much better. When we got home, we started a new cooking adventure. Read on for step by step instructions plus variations on the Blueberry Sauce!
You may wonder if you can freeze Ricotta Hotcakes. Can we make Ricotta Pancakes without baking powder? For answers to these questions and 13 tips on making pancakes please see our How To Guide on Making Pancakes. We include step by step instructions and videos. If you have any additional questions just let us know!
How to Make Ricotta Hotcakes
- Set up: We start with gathering our equipment and ingredients. I like to have everything organized so once I start mixing and flipping the hotcakes, everything is at my fingertips!
- Sift Ingredients: We start with sifting together the dry ingredients to remove any chunks. No one wants a little bit of baking soda when they bite into their hotcakes!
- Wet Ingredients: Now in a second bowl, mix together the wet ingredients including the ricotta.
- Eggs: Separate the eggs into the egg yolk and whites. Beat the egg white to a soft peak before blending into the ricotta mixture.
- Mix Ingredients: Mix together the wet ingredients into the sifted dry ingredients being careful to not over mix. Flour that remains at the bottom of the bowl is expected.
- Rest: Let the Ricotta Hotcakes batter sit for ten minutes to ensure the gluten can relax for more tender pancakes.
Mixing Tip: It is important to not overmix the batter to ensure light and fluffy pancakes. This should be a quick process of blending the wet and dry ingredients together.
How to Make Homemade Blueberry Sauce
- While the Ricotta Hotcakes batter is resting, start the blueberry sauce.
- Blueberries: Start with rinsing the blueberries and removing any stems. There is no need to dry them since you are going to toss them into a saucepan.
- Add ingredients to saucepan: Add water, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, and orange juice to the blueberries in the saucepan.
- Boil: Stir the ingredients together and bring to a boil. Then simmer until the blueberries burst.
- Thicken: Pour a little of the sauce into a small bowl. Mix in the arrowroot. Add into the sauce, stirring until desired thickness.
Homemade Blueberry Sauce Tips
- For the Homemade Blueberry Sauce, you can make the sauce thin or thick. If the sauce becomes too thick then add more water and Orange Juice.
- And if it is too thin, add more arrowroot. Personally, I love it both ways!!
- The top photos are a thicker blueberry sauce which allows more control on placing the topping. The last three photos have a thinner sauce which flows generously over the hotcakes! It really is all about your preference. Consider topping with lemon zest.
How to Store Homemade Blueberry Sauce
It is fine to make a larger batch of the Homemade Blueberry Sauce. Once the sauce is cool, place it in an airtight container with a lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When ready to enjoy, reheat either in the microwave or small saucepan. If it becomes too thick, then add some water and OJ.
Ricotta Hotcakes on the Griddle
Now that our batter is ready and the blueberry sauce is on the burner, it is time to make our Ricotta Hotcakes!
- Griddle: We start with preparing the griddle with Olive Oil or a non-stick spray.
- Preheat: Then we preheat the griddle on medium heat.
- Test Griddle: When a drop of water or batter sizzles, the griddle is ready.
- Pour Batter: Pour the batter onto the griddle using a ¼ or ⅓ cup measuring cup.
- Flip: Flip hotcakes when bubbles start to pop forming holes that do not refill with batter.
- Finish Cooking: Cook for another minute or until cooked through.
- Plate: Serve Ricotta Hotcakes with the warm Homemade Blueberry Sauce.
For more instructions and tips on making pancakes including videos on flipping them, please see our How To Guideon Making Pancakes.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
If you enjoy Ricotta Hotcakes, check out
How To Guide
- Two large bowls
- Flour sifter
- Pancake griddle
- Medium saucepan
- 2 Small bowls
Pancakes Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ cup Sugar
Pancakes Wet Ingredients
- 2 cups Ricotta Cheese full fat
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ cups Buttermilk
- 3 Eggs separated
Homemade Blueberry Sauce
- 2 cups Fresh Blueberries rinsed
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Arrowroot for thickening
- Zest of 1 lemon optional
Pancake Batter Preparation
- Sift together dry ingredients removing any chunks.
- In a second bowl, mix together the wet ingredients in order they are listed except for the eggs.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites into soft peaks before blending into the ricotta.
- Mix together the wet ingredients into the sifted dry ingredients being careful to not overmix. Flour that remains at the bottom of the bowl is expected.
- Let the batter rest for 10-minutes.
- Prepare the griddle with Olive Oil or a non-stick spray.
- Preheat griddle on medium heat. When a drop of water or batter sizzles, the griddle is ready.
- Pour the batter onto the griddle using a ¼ or ⅓ cup measuring cup.
- Flip pancakes when bubbles start to pop forming holes that do not refill with batter. Cook for another minute or until cooked through.
- Serve with Homemade Blueberry Sauce.
Blueberry Sauce Preparation
- Rinse the blueberries and remove any stems. You do not need to dry them.
- In a medium saucepan mix together all ingredients except the arrowroot.
- Simmer until the blueberries burst..
- Pour a little of the sauce into a small bowl. Mix in the arrowroot.
- Add into the sauce, stirring until desired thickness.
- Mix in lemon zest, if desired.
- It is important to not over mix the batter to ensure light and fluffy pancakes. This should be a quick process of blending the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Let the batter sit for ten minutes to ensure the gluten can relax for more tender pancakes.
- For the Homemade Blueberry Sauce, you can make the sauce thin or thick. If the sauce becomes too thick then add more water and Orange Juice. And if it is too thin, add more arrowroot.