At 65 cents a cupcake, celebrate Valentine’s Day and any Patriotic holiday with these Strawberry Filled Cupcakes made from scratch using a generous serving of strawberries right from the vine! There are many options to decorate the cupcakes. A natural appearance without any frosting leaving the beautiful strawberries as the topping. A light dusting of powdered sugar with sprinkles makes a festive look. Another great topping is a pure white Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting with the addition of blueberries and strawberries. For a patriotic holiday, add a small American flag! Adding red, white and blue sprinkles adds a celebration and fireworks appearance to your cupcake presentation! Then bite into this moist cupcake filled with sweet strawberries! And the best part, you can enjoy this cupcake all year long! Read on for step by step instructions.
If you enjoy this recipe and the tips, would you consider giving us a 5 star rating and a comment? It would help us with our Google rankings. Thank you for the consideration!
From Scratch Strawberry Cupcakes
It is so easy to make these Strawberry Filled Cupcakes from scratch – it is not necessary to purchase a box cake mix.
- Wet & Dry Ingredients: The typical steps of sifting together the dry ingredients and creaming the butter with the sugar are the same. The difference is the addition of fresh strawberries that includes both puree and chopped strawberries.
- Make the Strawberry Puree:
- First rinse the strawberries, dry and cut off the hull.
- Add a few strawberries to a small food processor pulsing until they are pureed for a measurement of ⅓ cup.
- It takes about 3 to 4 ounces of strawberries for ⅓ cup puree.
- Slice the Strawberries: Slice the remaining strawberries to the desired size for a total of 1 1/4 cups. I made this recipe with cutting the strawberries into small pieces and larger chunks. The larger chunks of strawberries makes a beautiful presentation and enjoyment of the chunkier strawberries when you bite into the Strawberry Filled Cupcakes.
- Food Coloring: Adding red food coloring deepens the color for our Patriotic theme. I made this recipe with and without the red food coloring because my preference is the natural color of the batter that also reveals the strawberries.
- Muffin Tin: The batter is a little thicker with the strawberries therefore spooning the batter into the muffin tin is easier than using a measuring cup.
- Bake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees with baking cupcakes for about 20-minutes.
- Cool: Completely cool the cupcakes before frosting.
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes are fun to decorate whether you are using a Cream Cheese Frosting, dusted with Confectioners Sugar or even left plain for the natural appearance of the strawberries.
- Cream Butter: In a standup mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add Cream Cheese: Mix the cream cheese into the butter.
- Remaining Ingredients: Add the vanilla, Unsweetened Almond Milk, and Confectioners Sugar.
- Confectioners Sugar: Determine how much Confectioners Sugar to add based upon desired thickness. This recipe makes a less dense frosting since a piping bag is not used. Feel free to make the frosting ahead of time storing in the refrigerator.
- Frost the Cupcakes: Finish the cupcakes once fully cooled and ready to enjoy by spooning on the Cream Cheese Buttercream frosting. My preference is to show the outer edge of the cupcake. When ready to serve, add strawberries, blueberries, and American flag for your Patriotic theme!
Dust Cupcakes with Confectioners Sugar
Another option for your Strawberry Filled Cupcakes includes dusting confectioners sugar over the cupcakes instead of a cream cheese frosting . They present beautifully without any frosting! The options are really endless with the end result being the same. A delicious strawberry cupcake ready for a Patriotic celebration!
- Dust with Confectioners Sugar: Just before serving, dust the cooled cupcakes with Confectioners Sugar.
- Strawberries: When enjoying without a frosting, consider adding a strawberry slice to the top of the cupcake batter spooned into the cupcake tin just before baking.
- Decorate: Add red, white, and blue sprinkles served with a side of sweet strawberries!
Storing the Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
This recipe makes 12 large cupcakes. However, this recipe can easily be doubled for more cupcakes!
- Freezer: The cupcakes freeze nicely. They only last a couple of days on the counter top depending upon your house temperature. Remember the generous serving of fresh strawberries will only last so long on the countertop.
- Refrigerator: Placing them in the refrigerator is another option. When serving without a frosting or a dusting of confectioners sugar, consider baking them the same day or the night before for the best appearance. For the below picture without a topping was baked the night before and still has a fresh appearance.
How Do You Know When the Strawberry Filled Cupcakes are Done?
The question is often asked how do you know when the cupcakes are done? The standard method of placing a toothpick into the center to see if it comes out dry works. Another option is to lightly touch a cupcake to see if it bounces back. If it does then they are ready to come out of the oven! Otherwise place them back into the oven. Plus checking a couple of minutes prior to the baking time is helpful in case your oven runs hotter than the test recipe oven.
Should I use Cake Flour or All Purpose Flour?
There are so many different types of flour with each having its own qualities to consider for baking. I keep many different types of flour in my pantry that includes cake flour, all-purpose flour, pastry flour, white whole wheat flour, whole wheat flour, almond flour, and coconut flour.
So which flour is best for making Strawberry Filled Cupcakes? Cake Flour has a lower protein content than All-Purpose Flour that results in a light and airy cupcake. All Purpose Flour will create a denser cupcake. When testing this recipe, I made it with Cake Flour and then a blend of Cake Flour and All-Purpose Flour. The Cake Flour produced a light and airy cupcake. When adding All-Purpose Flour to the Cake Flour did change the texture between a light and dense cupcake. It really depends upon how light and airy you want the Strawberry Filled Cupcakes. And it is fun to try this recipe experimenting with Cake Flour and All-Purpose Flour! The Spoon University has an article discussing how using each flour will impact the outcome of your recipe.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy….
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- Muffin tin
- Food Processor
- Flour sifter
- Small bowl
- Mixing bowl and mixer (ie., stand up mixer or hand mixer)
- Cookie cooling rack
- ⅓ cup Fresh Strawberries Puree about 4 ounces of fresh Strawberries
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp Butter softened
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs Large
- 1 1/4 cups Strawberries roughly chopped
- Red Food Coloring optional
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- 3 tbsp Butter room temperature
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
Strawberry Puree Mixture Preparation
- Rinse the strawberries, dry and cut off the hull.
- To make the strawberry puree, add a few strawberries to a small food processor pulsing until they are pureed for a measurement of ⅓ cup. It takes about 3 to 4 ounces of strawberries for ⅓ cup puree.
- Add the Unsweetened Almond Milk and vanilla to the food processor and blend until incorporated.
- Chop the remaining strawberries until you have 1 ¼ cup. Put aside for later.
Dry Ingredients Preparation
- In a small bowl, sift together the dry ingredients in order to incorporate all the ingredients removing any lumps.
Wet Ingredients Preparation
- In a stand up mixer, cream the butter.
- Slowly adding the sugar and then the eggs.
Strawberry Filled Cupcakes Batter Preparation
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients (except for the reserved chopped strawberries) into the wet ingredients alternating with the Strawberry puree mixture.
- If desired add red food coloring.
- Stir in the reserved chopped strawberries.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes stay in the muffin tins until cool enough to remove to a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting Preparation
- In a stand up mixer or using a hand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add the cream cheese and blend until smooth.
- Blend in remaining ingredients.
- Add more Confectioners Sugar if a thicker frosting is desired or Almond Milk if the frosting is too thick.