For many people, sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows are a traditional side dish for Thanksgiving. But this dish is too sweet for me. Ironically, I never liked sweet potatoes because of this popular holiday dish! But now they are one of my favorite side dishes! My version of a Sweet Potato Souffle contains roasted bananas, a little local honey topped with chopped pecans! Just enough sugar to enhance the sweet potatoes without becoming too sweet. And as a fun fact, yams are actually sweeter than sweet potatoes!
Making Sweet Potato Souffle
This is an easy recipe to make. Just be sure to allow enough time to bake the sweet potatoes and bananas. You will need about 45 minutes depending upon the size of the sweet potatoes. Plus 20 minutes for baking the Sweet Potato Souffle. Start with spraying a roasting pan and casserole pan with non-stick spray. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them in the roasting pan. Place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Next add the bananas into the roasting pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft. Remove the roasting pan from the oven.
When the sweet potatoes have cooled, peel them and place the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Then peel the bananas and add them to the bowl along with the butter and honey. Season with salt and beat with a spoon until everything is well combined and the mixture is fluffy. Spoon the Sweet Potato Souffle mixture into a casserole pan.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, flour, and chopped pecans until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the Sweet Potato Souffle and place into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve hot.
Thank You for Following Supper Plate
You May Also Enjoy
Sweet Potato SoufflePin Recipe
- Roasting Pan
- Casserole Pan
- Non-stick aluminum foil
- Non-stick spray
- Large mixing bowl
Sweet Potato Souffle Ingredients
- 28 ounces Sweet Potatoes scrubbed and dry
- 2 Large Bananas unpeeled (about 14 oz)
- 4 tbsp Butter at room temperature (you can also melt the butter in the microwave)
- 1/8 cup Local Honey
Crumbly Topping Ingredients
- 1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Pecans chopped
- 1 tbsp Butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp Flour
Oven Preparation: Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F to roast the sweet potatoes
- Spray a roasting pan with non-stick spray or line with non-stick foil
Oven Preparation: Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F to bake the Sweet Potato Souffle
- Spray a casserole pan with non-stick spray
Sweet Potatoes and Bananas Preparation
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork.
- Place them in a roasting pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Add the bananas into the pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- When the sweet potatoes have cooled down a bit, peel the sweet potatoes
- Place the peeled sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
- Peel the bananas and add them to the bowl along with the butter and honey.
- Season with salt and beat with a spoon until everything is well combined and the mixture is fluffy.
- Spoon mixture into the casserole pan.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, flour, and pecans until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the casserole and place into the oven, preheated to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve hot.