A crisp fall day is the perfect time to make a Tomato Orzo Soup! One sip of this soup instantly warms and nourishes the body. While the soup is cooking, a wonderful tomato aroma fills the kitchen. Enjoy the bright, sweet smell of freshly chopped Basil. I love serving this soup with hot crusty cheese bread hot out of the oven! We make a large pot so it lasts for days. It warms over nicely in the microwave or stovetop. And it is freezer friendly allowing for larger batches.Jump to Recipe
Tomato Orzo Soup Recipe
Tomato Orzo Soup is easy and quick to make. We start with a little prep work of dicing carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Roast two red peppers or purchase them roasted. Take out a large soup pot and add Olive Oil to cover the bottom. Once the oil is heated add the veggies cooking until tender. Add chopped garlic cooking for two minutes to release the flavors. Now we add the tomatoes, simmering for 10 minutes. We are almost done making the soup! Our final ingredients include vegetable stock, red peppers and pasta. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring to keep the pasta loose. Cook until pasta is firm but tender.
Remove the Tomato Orzo Soup from the heat. We have two ingredients left! But first we need to temper the light cream so it does not curdle when pouring into the hot soup. Start with pouring the light cream into a medium bowl. Add some of the hot soup to slowly raise the cream’s temperature. Then add the cream mixture to the soup and fold in the chopped basil. Ladle into warmed bowls to serve. Top with fresh basil and serve with hot crusty bread. This recipe is adapted from Wegmans.
Thank you for Following Supper Plate
You Might Enjoy
Tomato Orzo Soup
- Cutting board and knife
- Large soup pot
- Medium bowl
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ cup Carrots dice
- ¼ cup Onions dice
- ¼ cup Celery dice
- 1 Tbsp Garlic chopped
Tomatoes and Stock Ingredients
- 28 oz. Cut Roma Tomatoes
- 28 oz. Crushed Tomatoes
- 32 oz. Vegetable Stock
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- 2 Roasted Red Peppers 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup Orzo Soup Pasta
- 1 cup Light Cream
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
- Dice the carrots, onions, and celery. Chop the garlic. Roast two red peppers or purchased them roasted.
- Add Olive Oil to a large soup pot. Heat and then add carrots, onions, celery. Cook, until tender.
- Add chopped garlic. Cook 2 minutes to release the flavors.
- Add the tomatoes, simmering for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add red peppers and pasta. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring to keep the pasta loose. Cook until pasta is firm but tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Temper the cream: Pour cream into medium bowl. Add some of the hot soup to slowly raise the cream’s temperature.
- Add cream mixture to soup and fold in chopped basil.
- Ladle into warmed bowls to serve. Top with fresh basil and serve with hot crusty bread.